In pouring rain a few hardy members gathered at the Foxborough Common. We took a short walk to the brand new Town Hall where Joan Stafford greeted the group and proudly showed us the offices and introduced us to Robert Cutler, Town Clerk, who kindly showed us the vault and entertained questions.
Then we went a block up the road to the Memorial Hall. It is a single-story granite Gothic Revival structure, octagonal in shape, with four projecting wings and a turret capped by a statue of a Union Army soldier.
Mark Ferencick, Chairman of the Historical Commission, introduced us to the town’s history, notable residents, wonderful memorabilia and beautiful hats created locally, a couple of centuries ago, by the Union Straw Works. Back then, the town was known all over the world for its straw hats until the factory burned to the ground in 1900 and then rebuilt and occupied by The Foxboro Co since 1908 (now Schneider-Electric).
Lunch at Jake n’ Joe’s completed the outing, with the sun trying to break through while we were safe and dry indoors!
Chuck and Susan Hyson, Linda Keohane, Betty Fitzgerald, Shirley McPhea, Rosemary Smith, Joan Stafford, Diane Bannister, Ines and Marco Arismendi.
COPYRIGHT © 2023
TOP OF THE HILL GANG
All Rights Reserved